For some people, the question quickly becomes “What’s your vape preference? RDA or tank?” Every once in a while, someone would sneak in and say they enjoy squonking…and get laughed at in the process. Squonking was a big deal in the past and seems to be rearing it’s head again in the vaping world. Companies are reinventing their squonk machines to have better capability and to capture the usage of larger batteries (i.e. 20700 and 21700).
iJoy created something called the Capo Squonker Kit, a regulated device that comes with it’s own squonk RDA and contains everything you would need in one very sleek looking box. Let’s take a look at the contents and specs, then I’ll get into some of the nuances.
What’s in the Box??
- iJoy Capo Squonker Box Mod
- Combo RDA Triangle
- 20700 Battery (optional – Mine didn’t come with this one)
- 21700 battery (optional – Mine didn’t come with this one either)
- 18650 battery adapter sleeve
- Spare squonk bottle
- Tool pack
- USB Cable
Specs on the box are as follows (from VaporDNA website):
- 5 to 100W Output
- IWEPAL Designed Chip
- 0.05 to 3.0 ohm Atomizer Resistance Range
- Firmware Upgradeable
- Micro USB Charge Port
- Top Loaded Threaded Battery Cap
- Intuitive Utilization of Space
- Accepts One High Amperage 18650/20700/21700 Battery
- 9mm Bottom Feeding Squonk Bottle
- Accessible by Taking Squonk Door Off
- Unique Silicon Construction
- Hardened Top and Bottom to Hold
- Soft Center for an Easy Squonk
- Three Button Control
- Enlarged Firing Button
- Adjustment Buttons
- Extra Large 0.91 OLED Display
- Simple Display
- Output Wattage
- Battery Life Indicator
- Atomizer Resistance
- Spring Loaded Stainless Steel Plated 510 Connection
- Low Voltage/Current/Output Short Circuit/Load/Low Resistance/Overheating/Anti Loaded/Timeout Protection
The box itself is a pretty sleek design with a slanted view screen and just two simple buttons for increasing and decreasing wattage. There are no complicated menu’s to navigate. Just click 5 times to turn on, 5 times to turn off. The squonk bottle access door is held secure by a pretty powerful magnet (WARNING: Don’t take a credit card near this one…just in case). The battery itself is held secure by a screw top to connect the leads. Taking out the battery, even with the adapter sleeve, is not a challenge either. Secure connection that’s guaranteed every single time.
- 25mm Diameter
- Gold Plated Sloped Two Post Build Deck
- Unique Quad Terminals
- 3mm by 3mm Each Terminal
- 9mm Deep Juice Well
- 24K Gold Plated Deck
- PEEK Insulation
- Minimizes Heat Transfer
- Heat Resistant
- High Performance Oriented
- Hollowed Out Post for Squonking
- Dual Adjustable Bottom Airflow
- 10mm by 2.5mm Each Airslot
- Fully Closeable
- 9mm Wide Bore 810 ULTEM Drip Tip
- Stainless Steel Construction
- Gold Plated 510 Connection
The RDA is referred to as a triangle because of the slanted lead posts, creating an extra lift that is helpful when trying to secure your coils through normal 4 hole posts. I no longer have to take off coil 1 to cut the leads on coil 2. The ultra deep juice well is helpful as well, so you don’t have to worry about juice leaking from over-squonking.
Now to the bad news – This comes with a pair of what appears to be staple fused claptons that register around 0.37 ohms each. This is roughly 0.18 for the pair. Combine this with a 100 watt device, and the battery life will get sucked down very quickly (a 30 minute drive almost drained my battery completely with normal usage). It also got pretty warm pretty quickly with that resistance on top. Even with this being a regulated device, I would highly recommend sticking to a 0.25-0.3 ohm minimum range. Currently I have a set of claptons that are around 0.26 watts and I am able to get solid flavor and ramp up time around 50 watts. While I do feel like this device is a little underpowered on the chip, you also have to realize that squonkers are not for cloud chasing. These are made for flavor chasers, and this one is a solid pick in my book.
The benefits of being able to regulate my watts and see my battery life makes this worthwhile. The 9ml squonk bottle and added RDA (with a HUGE juice well) made for a solid purchase. Normally, purchasing something like this would cost $100+ if you purchased in a brick and mortar. I was able to find a good deal at VaporDNA for $59.99 (the price may change, so make sure you double check before purchasing).
Let me know if any of you guys have tried this device and let me know your thoughts in the comments below!